Thursday, February 26, 2015

Guest Post: Potter & Bloom: Zen And The Art Of Crochet


 I gotta say, when I started this blog I never thought I'd be posting about crochet.  But then, I had no idea how intertwined the blog world and the crochet world are.  None.  But they are.  It seems there is a vast and endless array of super crafty talented people out there who do amazing things with wool and blog about it.


And then there are people like Emma at Potter & Bloom who blog about crochet as well as life, the universe and everything.  I'm not into crochet.  I've never done it and I don't really understand it.  But I love Emma's blog because she's wry and witty and funny as hell.  And she swears a lot too.  I  like that.  Especially in the context of crochet.  I know, I'm a dork but I like the fact that she's roughing up something so twee.

But mostly I like Potter & Bloom because Emma can write.  She's sharp and punchy and did I mention very, very funny?  So go visit Potter & Bloom for some homespun wisdom, it's way more than just crochet.

But the measure of Emma's talents as a writer is that with the the post she's written for us today, she has actually made me believe not only that I want to take up a crochet hook, but also that I can.  I wonder if she'll make you feel that way too?

Enjoy this post about the Zen of the hook. x
________________________________________


Guest Post: Potter & Bloom: Zen And The Art Of Crochet


Potter & Bloom Springtime Throw

I'm rubbish at meditating, don't 'get' yoga, have a typical introverted whirlwind of a mind, am impatient, hate wasting time and chew the sides of my mouth when I'm stressed. Yes, much to my disappointment, I'm a bit Type A and I'm always on the lookout for ways to calm my mind, de-stress my body and not think for a bit.

Then four years ago I discovered my very own path to zen in the unlikely form of some wool and a stick and I've been hooked (excuse the pun) on crochet ever since. It's a funny thing to be gripped by a creative outlet so late in life, a funny and bloody gorgeous thing. 

You see I had always bemoaned the fact that I felt creative in my soul, colourful even, but had no way of getting what was inside me out. I can't draw or paint, I can't sew, dance, play music (not even the recorder), I want to knit but find myself constantly baffled by it and I most definitely can't sing! Then a chance encounter with a crochet book found me intrigued, what was this magical art, how is it even possible to make such beautiful stuff with a hook and a ball of yarn.

Potter & Bloom Hilo Shawl
Two weeks and approximately one hundred YouTube videos later and I could do it. I started on my first project and my new life, the one in which I'm a creative being, began with earnest. I've crocheted blankets and scarves, teddy bears and baby cardigans, gloves, hats and shawls, baby mobiles, birds and potholders. I have made my own designs, dozens of presents, sit surrounded by bags of yarn and am obsessed with vintage crochet books. It is quite literally my world. I can do it whilst watching telly, in the car, on a sun lounger (bit itchy) and with friends. It has happened in bed, in hospital, on the train and sometimes after a glass or two of red wine (not recommended).

I never thought a hobby could provide such a sense of instant wellbeing. I'm drawn to crocheting over and over again because it stills my mind. Completely. I can sit and crochet and almost immediately am in the soothing rhythm of the pattern, it is contemplative and inspiring, my thoughts only resting on the next stitch, over and over. Wonderfully easy mindfulness (I am lazy) and productive too, you know I've got some great crocheted shit in my house.

Potter & Bloom Crochet Cuff
I think our creativity is magnetic, the more you use it the greater your strength. 

Ideas will come bounding in from everywhere, you will be flooded with inspiration and be glad of it. 

This is where the zen happens, you are attracting all that is colourful and creative and woolly from the universe, you are calling to it and it is answering you. 

I couldn't wish for a better connection, or a prettier one.

So if you fancy trying out something new and woolly get yourself some yarn, get a hook or some needles and start stitching your way to serenity. I guarantee you will love it, you'll feel like a nana but you will love it.
________________________________________

What did you think?  Has it got you made you want to take up the hook?  Or do you already crochet?

Listen to Bjork Unravel

8 comments:

  1. Ah Kate, I love it, thank you for all your gorgeous words, you are a starry star xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am booked in for my first crochet class in a few weeks time, can't wait to nanna it up ! You are a good judge, Kate - Emma's writing is right up my alley so I'm heading on over now to subscribe and rustle up some enthusiasm for my new hobby x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh fantastic Ing! Emma's blog is great and I look forward to some wonderful ethical crochet posts over at Tread Kindly! x

      Delete
  3. SO lovely. I used to crochet all the time as a young teenager - little doilies of all things! I love those cuffs - hmmm, might have to dig out the old hook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma's just put a little tutorial for gorgeous little stars up at Potter & Bloom - might be a good project if you want to get back into it! I'd love to give them a try but the instructions are like a different language. Seems my crochet career might be a little ways off yet...... x

      Delete
  4. I'm a knitter and definitely find it meditative. It has also taught me patience. When I first started knitting, it drove me nuts when I messed something up badly and had to rip back.

    After years of knitting, I don't mind. And more importantly, I'm more patient and less easily upset in the rest of life too, not just knitting projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this Christy - the way knitting has influenced your life in ways you might not previously imagined! This is way I think crochet might be good for me. Although parenting has been pretty good for this too ;)

      Delete